Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today … “Have you ever been to Arlington Cemetery?” – Khizr Khan, father of Muslim-American warrior, U.S. Army Captain Humayun S.M. Khan, who was killed by an IED (improvised explosive device in Iraq, in a speech at the Democratic National Convention.
Another quote for today … While thinking how rapidly this summer is zooming away and reminiscing about years-ago summers spent with no air conditioning, our hankering for a time with open windows during the summer months. Searching for an apt quote, we found this blog site, “Writing From Scotland.” So, here are some wonderful pictures and notes from Scotland by Christine Laennec.
Here’s a scary thought about getting chummy with the Russians! | “Hacking An Election: Why It’s Not As Far-Fetched As You Might Think” – NPR
And if that’s not enough bad news …
- Don’t drink the water; don’t eat the fish and don’t play in it | “A 1.2 stream mile portion of the Susquehanna River immediately upstream and downstream of the route 462 Bridge (Columbia, PA) is listed as impaired for Recreational Use. Lake Clarke, immediately downstream of the impaired reach by the route 462 bridge downstream to the Safe Harbor Dam, is attaining the Recreational Use.” – Pennlive
- Elected public servant gets a pair | “Pat Toomey wades into Trump controversy, says attacks on parents of Army captain ‘inappropriate’” – Lancaster Online
- “But if you’re packing your bags to visit relations with that perfect ocean or mountain view, you should think twice. Hard as it is to believe, they are dreading your arrival.” – The Boston Globe
- “Social Security benefits us all” and Pennsylvania ranks #5 in Social Security benefits paid. – JustCare.com
- Author Maria Thompson Corley‘s new book is “Told in a witty combination of standard prose, letters, emails, and diary entries, LETTING GO, in the tradition of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s AMERICANAH, is a long-distance love story that also examines race, religion, and the difficult choices we make following our passions. From the Great White North to the streets of New York City to the beaches of Bermuda, LETTING GO is a journey of longing, betrayal, self-discovery and hope you will never forget.”
- Met someone in town recently and we had a conversation about drug use, especially heroin. This Boston Globe column (Analysis: The real reason that so many more Americans are using heroin) kind of hits the source: “As users become tolerant to the effects of opioids, they often consume an increasing amount of the drug until they simply cannot afford to purchase the dozens of pills they want each day from legal or illegal sources. Heroin, which once may have seemed unthinkable, becomes attractive because of its affordability.”
- Columbia’s borough councillors head up the several council committees; here’s the recently revised listing of council committees and the composition of each.
- On the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Governor’s Daily Briefing: Incident in Columbia, July 30, 2016
- Will Pennsylvania’s new tax “put all the vape shops out of business and people out of their jobs?” – FOX43-TV