Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Today’s Quote … “If there was a real Republican running against (Clinton), she’d be losing by 40%. If there was a real Democrat running, Trump would be losing by 40%. – An opinion voiced by Dan Szabo, location not disclosed/Facebook on an opinion page quote in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster.
- The September Columbia Borough School board of directors’ “committee of the whole” meeting | Thursday evening at 7:00 pm – The agenda is listed here at the significantly improved Website.
- Better make that “somewhat improved!” | There are eight school board directors listed but nine shown. H-m-m-m; tough to change old ways.
- May be 0-1 to start the season; but the Irish played a legitimate opponent. – Notre Dame Athletics Website.
- Perceptive, and telling, facebook comment follows a post about the poverty disparity in education article that appeared yesterday’s LNP – Always Lancaster. “I don’t want to log in or register. I buy your newspaper. Besides, as important as this news story seems to be, why is this an ‘insider’ piece?” Actually, the facebook comments may be more interesting and informative than the article.
- Yeah, it’s good to be a board member with benefits! An article in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster says the two not-for-profit hospitals operating in Lancaster County funnel over $10 million for services to companies “overseen by their board members or key employees.” The article cites this Wall Street Journal article: “Nonprofit Hospitals’ Business Relationships Can Present Conflicts.”
- Yeah, it’s good to have immunity, too! | “When Police Unions Impede Justice” – The New York Times
- Undesirable Zip Code – 17512? | Clipper Magazine’s distribution (or lack of in Columbia) blasted by facebook comments.
- Consolidation thought | Rundown on the numbers of participants in all county school bands in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster may give fodder to consolidate band programs too. Columbia’s band participants: 28 – Garden Spot’s (ELANCO): 125.
- Reginald Wright Kauffman – The Scribbler column is about this Columbian in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster. His bio’s at the Columbia Historic Preservation Website.