Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote of the day … “ … died on Saturday, September 10,2016 after a struggle with heroin dependency.” – from an obituary notice in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster.
- According to a Lancaster Online “Insider” piece just posted, “64 people have died in Lancaster County so far in 2016 from opioid overdoses” including three in Columbia. NOTE: The article’s on page one of today’s LNP – Always Lancaster, too.
- From Columbia news, views & reviews, September 2, 2016 – “An Even Deadlier Opioid, Carfentanil, Is Hitting The Streets” – NPR
Grave Concern will be holding a quarterly public meeting and program – Wednesday September 21th, 7:00 PM at the Lancaster County Mennonite Historical Society, 2215 Millstream Road – Route 30 East, Lancaster, PA 17602-1499. (717) 393-9745 | Program: “Gerber-Vandersaal Cemetery Restoration”- Presenters: Steve Garver and Milt Haldeman. This program will focus on the research, and all the steps involved in the restoration of this old cemetery located in Upper Leacock Township. The program will feature several photos of the restoration process and handouts. Materials and cost will also be discussed. This meeting is free and open to the public.Grave Concern is an organization dedicated to the history, preservation and restoration of historical burial places. – SOURCE: news release
- “Why are police inside public schools?” – The Conversation
- “Start your own damn newspaper” is the title of the email from 1236.ca |”Printing presses for sale. (Cheap!) The Globe and Mail would be happy to have 40 employees take a buyout this fall. For those who still want to produce a newspaper, though, does the Toronto Star have a deal for you.
- “This Is How You Care for Your Dying Father When You Don’t Yet Know That He’s Dying” – Purple Clover
To sign up for messages as the one below, register your email address at the “NOTIFY ME!” button on the Columbiapa.net website.
- Message from Columbia Borough: “THE LAST DAY FOR YARD WASTE PICKUP WILL BE ON MONDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2016 PLEASE HAVE YOUR YARD WASTE OUT BY 7:00AM – LEAF PICKUP WILL BEGIN ON MONDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2016 AND WILL FOLLOW THE STREET SWEEPING SCHEDULE.”
- “Nighttime Project on Route 72 Getting Underway in Manheim Township” – PennDOT Region 8 Website
- This is interesting!!!!! While looking about the Trulia.com website and entering an address – and scrolling down, there’s an area on the left side of the page that says “See Reported Crimes Near This Home.” It’s disarming to see the “reported crimes.” Don’t know where the site gets it’s information but here’s a for instance:
08/28/2016OtherDISORDERLY CONDUCT. STALKING – DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. TRESPASS / STALKING (V)08/26/2016BurglaryBURGLARY. FORCE. BURGLARY-THEFT (V)08/26/2016VandalismCRIMINAL MISCHIEF / VANDALISM. VEHICLE. VANDALISM-NOT IN PROG (V)08/24/2016ArrestDUI. DUI CRASH RELATED. DUI / VEHICLE ACCIDENT-ENTRAPMENT (V)08/21/2016OtherORDINANCE VIOLATIONS. SOLICITING. SOLICIATION ORDINANCE VIOLATION (V)