today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
- Today’s Weather!
- Today in History!
- Traffic Cam Rts. 30 & 441
- The Official Time! – Population Clock (U.S. and World)
Quote for today… “Political correctness is tyranny with manners.” – Charlton Heston
- “LL League boys’ basketball playoffs: Bears reverse Tide” – MyColumbiaNews
- “A sicker Susquehanna: For seven years now, the litany of diseased, intersex smallmouth bass and sudden fish kills on the Lower Susquehanna River has alarmed anyone who fishes or cares about the mighty river.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Borough Council meeting notes: “Columbia will replace water lines, new generator approved” – MyColumbiaNews
- “The budget President Obama sent to Congress on Monday includes reductions for fire grant programs and the (United States Fire Administration) USFA.” – Firehouse Magazine
- Hempfield sixth-grader offers budget idea: “(Austin) Glass, who expects to join the ranks of Hempfield alumni in 2018, suggested that the district attempt to cash in on the same kind of school pride that keeps donations flowing into colleges and universities.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era
- Get fit; not fat! “Lancaster County eyes less auto use – Planners cite health care costs associated with relying on automobiles for transportation” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era [The article references this County Planning Commission Report: Planning Transportation Systems That Support Healthy Communities and Individuals.]
- We keep picking buffoons for “public servants” – this is what we get!
- “Mountville asked to ban smoking – Tobacco-free parks to protect youth advocated by YWCA Lancaster General Health – MyHempfieldNews
- In most communities, public safety leaders report at municipal meetings: “Mountville fire chief reports on ‘good year‘” – My HempfieldNews
- POLICE LOG: “MANOR TWP.: Walt Stickley, 47, of Dovefield Drive, was charged after his vehicle was found partially down an embankment along Blue Rock Road Jan. 8. Stickley was “joy-riding” in a field at night and failed to see the embankment, police said. He was intoxicated, police said. – COLUMBIA: Alvin M. Millisock, 34, of Avenue J, Columbia, was charged after he allegedly injured a woman and a child under 12 years of age during a domestic dispute Saturday. He was arraigned at Central Booking and sent to Lancaster County Prison in lieu of $75,000 bail.” – Lancaster Intelligencer Journal/New Era