today’s news and information gleanings from here and there!
Quote for today… “If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” – Pope Francis, who continues to surprise Catholics the world over, made international headlines this morning, saying he would not judge priests for their sexual orientation, The New York Times reported. – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- List of Community Health’s list hospitals includes Memorial in York – Community Health Systems
- The above picture is from West Hempfield Police Department’s facebook page. “On July 26th 2013 West Hempfield Twp Police received a report of a “theft from a vehicle”, in which credit cards were stolen from an unlocked vehicle. Later that day, the stolen credit cards were used in two local convenience stores. Attached is a photo of the suspect that used the cards in the stores. The theft occurred overnight in the 300 blk of Primrose Ln Mountville, Pa. Anyone who has any knowledge of the suspect is asked to contact the West Hempfield Twp Police at #285-5191. PLEASE REMEMBER TO LOCK YOUR VEHICLES EVEN IF THEY ARE IN YOUR DRIVEWAY.” Note that this department is using all media to communicate with its citizens. You gotta’ wonder whether Turkey Hill bought cut-rate spy cameras with the lousy resolution. Any bets Columbia’s couple of dozen spy cameras are better?
- Looks as if it’ll be bad for Columbia’s tax payers, but good for attorneys with the police chief suit and the other suit written about earlier this year: “It appears that Club Good Times has appealed the borough’s zoning board hearing and that the appeal will be heard in court sometime later this year.”
- Page one news: Former police chief’s complaint against the borough – Civil Court Records
- In West Hempfield Township, “Woman rescued from crash 18 hours later“ – WGAL-TV and “West Hempfield Township police: 18-year-old pinned in her car for more than 17 hours after crash” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- Noticed West Donegal Township is having an auction to sell “unnecessary real estate owned by West Donegal Township on August 10, 2013.” Evidently there’s no CEDC in West Donegal Township.
- Noticed, too, the required notice: “AUDIT NOTICE LANCASTER AREA SEWER AUTHORITY STATEMENT OF NET POSITION March 31, 2013” – the full statement is available on line at the LASA Website or you can click here to download that file. LASA 2012-2013_audited_financial_statements
- Transparency at the LASA Website also shows the rate increase notice: LASA – NOTICE_OF_RATE_INCREASE_-_1-1-2014 and there’s a download that shows contact information at the site too.
- Try to find that information at a local water company’s Website. Clear as muddy water there.
- Hey, graft and corruption is not cheap. “Trips on Pennsylvania Turnpike will cost more come January” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- “Reading Fair to feature host of family events” – Harrisburg Patriot-News
- More community information is appearing at the Borough Website, including this notice created by the Columbia Library:”August 6, 2013 – National Night Out 5:00pm-8:00pm – National Night Out 8 6 13 Flyer There will be a K-9 Demonstation at 5:30 pm, The Life Lion (Helicoptor) is scheduled to appear at 7:00 pm and the Columbia Animal Hospital will offer rabies vaccination and microchip at reduced costs.”