Today’s news and information gleanings from here and there.
Many of these comments speak to the mistrust and distrust of those elected to serve the public.
Quote for today … “There will be a lot of money spent in any area we go into.” – Braggadocio comment about the “economic impact” of the coming Williams pipeline flurry coming to Lancaster County in a page one article in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster: “Williams sees $75.5M boost for county economy.”
Another quote … “I understand that you don’t want to pay for the feasibility study, and you should not have to, but either way … we will pay. If a decision is made to go forward, it will certainly involve some kind of construction … so, again, we will pay.” – Citizen quoted in a LNP – Always Lancaster School Brief report on the recent Columbia Borough School District Board of Directors’ meeting about the topic of moving the borough’s offices into a shared space arrangement with the School District’s.
A third Quote … “… the American people need to do a better job of critically consuming their news and not crying victim when something is reported unfairly.” – From a syndicated column by Salena Zito in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster: “A journalistic crisis that benefits no one.”
And another … This time, the opening lines from this letter-to-the-editor in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster: “As it becomes increasingly obvious that the Trump administration is nothing but a festering nest of corruption, self-dealing and treason, the big question is whether congressional Republicans will continue to defend a president who is every day more and more indefensible.“
And this from a former member of the Amish community in a letter-to-the-editor, too: “I’d like to see Smucker reflect the values that are important to his constituents.“
And this from another letter-to-the-editor from the other side: “Dear Rep. Lloyd Smucker: Do not yield to these local radical left-wing lunatics screaming for you to hold a town hall. Their intention is not a civil dialogue, but to shout you down and turn it into a spectacle. … Do not alienate your base by kowtowing to the Lancaster city mob.“
- From the Police Log in today’s LNP – Always Lancaster: “Alfonso E. Romero, 72, of Columbia, was charged after he was seen scratching someone’s car May 15 in the parking lot of Wal-Mart, 2030 Fruitville Pike, police said.”
- Also from the Police Log and at the Columbia Police Department’s Crime Watch page: Prowlers and possessors.
- OMG – this begins a string at You know you’re from Columbia, PA if … “Wow the stuff you see in the boro. Just seen a little girl about 6 or 7 yrs old duck behind a tree at mackel park and take a shit. Then her and the person with her just walk away.”
- “Over the last five years, median CEO pay in the survey has jumped by 19.6 per cent … ” | just like everyone else, right? – The Record, Waterloo (IA)
- “Pennsylvania has the lowest percentage of its population engaged in government work, according to the 24/7 Wall St. analysis” – Penn Live